Wednesday, April 12, 2006

podcasts in efl/esl



The Greek Orthodox Easter is approaching fast we just have a couple more days before we break up for the holidays.

Anyway, I have been handing out DVDs with all the audio material I've managed to download from the net so students can practice their listening skills over the holidays. Usually, I hand out two or three DVDs to the class and ask them to copy or circulate the originals. (viral teaching ?) I do this as not everyone has access to a pc and the internet.

The DVD includes podcasts from;

In Our Time (BBC)
Go Digital (BBC)
From Our Own Correspondent (BBC)
BBC I Xtra
World Service Documentaries (BBC)
Mark Kermode's Film Reviews (BBC)
The Today Programme (BBC)

CNN News Podcasts


Podiobooks

Earthcore by Scott Sigler
Ancestor by Scott Sigler
The Pocket and the Pendent by Mark Jeffery

Audio books and poems

Alice Through The Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
The Art of lying by Mark Twain
The legend of Sleepy Hollow by Irving Washington
The Dubliners by James Joyce
Telltale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe
Kubla Khan Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Fables by Aesop


Speeches by

John F. Kennedy
Martin Luther King
George W. Bush
Richard Nixon
Malcolm X
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Winston Churchill

etc.

To fill up the DVD ( I hate just using half of them, it seems such a waste) I add a few hundred songs just to “sugar the pill” for students who are not crazy about the other stuff.

4 comments:

Sean said...

Now that is a great idea! I must add this to my to do list. Now it's just a matter of downloading all the material and organizing it correctly.

teacher dude said...

Thanks for the compliment. I saw what you wrote on your site and was very flattered. If you want to check out my earlier posts you'll find a lot of ideas on using podcasts, blogs and other cool technological stuff in the class.

Sean said...

I will go and browse your archives a little later - currently in the middle of mid terms. Anyhow I added your site to my blogroll and am looking forward to your future posts.

teacher dude said...

Thanks for that. I put you on my site as a permanent linkas well.I hope you find the archive useful.