Sunday, August 13, 2006

Going global with Starbucks


Starbucks has opened a second cafe here in Thessaloniki, on the seafront, near the White Tower, so I thought I too would fork a small fortune to drink coffee. Also I thought I'd try out my ibook to see if there was a wi-fi hotspot. And as you can see, yes there is (though it's not theirs). Now all we need is 200 - odd days of rain and I can pretend I'm in Seattle. Alas, the weather has remained stubbornly warm and the sun is out, so there goes that fantasy.


Actually, this is one of the tech-geeky fantasies I have wanted to indulge for a long time, you know, the one in which you sit in a comfortable, air-conditioned cafe (as opposed to squatting in the park with the junkies), sipping your double latte, whatdidjamacallit while effortlessly surfing the net on your laptop.

Still haven't figured out the ordering part yet. I asked for what I thought was a large filter coffee and got a pint of cappuccino instead.

7 comments:

Theodora Papapanagiotou said...

They do not serve any frappe, though... that's a problem for me... Not to mention that I don't have a laptop yet...

teacher dude said...

They have frappuccino(whatever that is), can't help with the laptop though.

melusina said...

Oh, I didn't know they had finally opened one along the sea too! (supposedly they are opening two along Nikis Ave). The one in Kamara is close to us so we've been happily getting our (low-fat) caramel frappuccino. Or whatever the hell it is. My husband knows what to order and that is all that matters.

It is nice that they are opening them in the city center, as going to City Gate for a Starbucks fix was a tad annoying.

By the way, I hate Starbucks. Technically. Love-hate. Sigh.

teacher dude said...

The one on the seafront looks a lot nicer than the one in City Gate. I remember seeing that one and being mightily underwhelmed. A 9/10 on the "is that it?" scale.

How's the thesis going ?

melusina said...

The thesis is going. I'm still doing a lot of reading, trying to decide what I want to present as my prospectus. Kinda hard to get anywhere when you keep changing your mind on what you want to do.

Where exactly is this new Starbucks? You say near the white tower - is it towards the Applebees, the other direction, or right around the square where the tower is?

I was hoping for a Starbucks on the water, but my hip isn't capable of taking me quite as far as the white tower as of yet. I can *barely* make it to Applebees.

teacher dude said...

It's opposite the Haagan Daaz place on the seafront, 100m from the White Tower.

melusina said...

Ok, I know where that is. Still a bit too far for now.