Saturday, September 09, 2006

Rioting in Thessaloniki


This was a very strange kind of disturbance as just behind the lines of tooled up riot police (the MAT as they're known here) the outdoor cafes on Melinikou St were full of guys watching a football match on wide screen TVs while sipping on their frappe, oblivious to the fact that just a couple of hundred meters away trouble was brewing.

On the southern perimeter of the Aristoteleion university campus a vicious game of cat and mouse was being played out between molotov wielding anarchists and the MAT who in turn lobbed cannister after cannister of tear gas into the campus grounds, which by law they are not allowed to enter.



It is a very ritualised form of conflict which takes place two, three times a year here in Thessaloniki. Both sides have their roles and stick strictly to the script which was established years ago. Despite the sense of deja vu, the rocks and petrol bombs are still frighteningly real as I saw for myself when I foolishly decided to follow the local film crews and photographers in order to take a closer look. There is nothing like having a petrol bomb thrown at you to reawaken those long dormant survival instincts. Not to mention the awful burning sensation of tear gas in your eyes, nose and throat.



On the other hand the vast majority of protestors who marched by the trade fair were peaceful, even if the long lines of flag waving marchers (each group carefully colour coded) reminded of Kurosawa's Ran. The martial feel of the event was heightened by the drums playing out miltary style tattoos and the presence of quasi - miltary, shield-bearing riot police dressed in helmets and gas masks massing and dispersing according to some mysterious plan or else suddenly marching off single file.

5 comments:

Theodora Papapanagiotou said...

It's like watching the same play again and again and again! That's why I don't go downtown until things settle down!

teacher dude said...

I just thought that this time I'd take a closer look. Scary!!!

The strange thing was that in the middle of all this I saw a group of about one hundred students come running out, all clutching books. It turns out that they were taking some exam when all of this started.

melusina said...

Yea, I pretty much stay away from it. We didn't even venture out for our usual stroll last night, which probably would have avoided trouble, but still.

I can't believe the anarchists have a website. I'm not sure you can have a website and still call yourselves anarchists.

It is scary how these situations always play out the same. It is as if the anarchists and the police have an agreement of how it should go. In this day and age, I would not be surprised.

Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher said...

Teacher Dude,

That is terribly scary. When I go through such things, I am always reminded of the importance of life. Be careful!

Cool Cat Teacher

teacher dude said...

"I do not set my life at a pin's fee"

Hamlet

Act I scene IV

Thank you for the concern.