Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My friend is dying when he could be saved

My friend lies dying in a hospital in London, I have just found out. His chances of surviving are diminishing as time passes, his body is growing weaker and weaker as the effects of liver illness continue to affect other major organs. There is a good chance that if he had a transplant he could survive but it seems that he will not be given one even though he was flown at great cost and great risk from Cyprus in the hope that such an operation would be possible.

I'm not there so I'm not sure what lies behind the decision. Perhaps it is the fact that my friend's condition was the result of heavy drinking which escalated after the loss of both his parents a few years ago. Public opinion was outraged by the George Best case a while back so such patients are now considered less "worthy" of transplants.It could be the result of the outcry which followed the revelation that Greek and Cypriot patients were being given liver transplants even while UK citizens remained on waiting lists.

I don't know why and I don't care. All I know is that my friend is dying and he could be saved. After losing my mother to cancer earlier this year I find the possibility of such a needless tragedy more hurtful than I can bear.

5 comments:

deviousdiva said...

I am SO sorry TD. This is an unbearable situation. How cruel and unfair that people are being asked whether someone DESERVES treatment.

My mum has suffered from a rare liver disease for almost 40 years. She has NEVER been denied very expensive treatment and support because her condition was not caused by alcohol.

But say it was... would this same beautiful, unique and special person be any less valuable because she drank too much?

My grandad smoked from the age of 12. He died from a smoking related disease at the age of 65, way too young but he was treated with dignity and respect until the day he died.

Smokers and drinkers today are treated like lepers were in days gone by. Yes, we know more about health risks and supposedly we can make informed decisions about our lifestyles but we are human. We make mistakes. We make bad choices. We don't live up to the pompous values of the few. Does that mean we don't deserve respect? We don't deserve help? Treatment?

Sorry for the rant. This makes me SO angry. This brought up a lot for me.

If you want to talk sometime, let me know when... so I can make sure I'm online. Much love to you and especially sending love to your friend.

buy kitchen cabinets online said...

Smokers and drinkers today are treated like lepers were in days gone by. Yes, we know more about health risks and supposedly we can make informed decisions about our lifestyles but we are human. We make mistakes. We make bad choices. We don't live up to the pompous values of the few. Does that mean we don't deserve respect? We don't deserve help? Treatment?

Claudia Ceraso said...

I can understand the pain when you say "needless tragedy". Indeed more hurtful.

Life tragedies we can bear with acceptance. Human silly decisions are simply maddening.

Wish you peace. Take care.

b2b and b2c said...

I understand the pain when you say "needless tragedy". Indeed more hurtful.

Theodora Papapanagiotou said...

A human life is always worth saving and I really can't understand how this system works...
Try to be brave and if you need someone to talk to I am here...