Saturday, March 01, 2014

Now for something completely different.

Once again Kathara Deutera (Clean Monday) is approaching and since I'm feeling in a festive mood I'm going to embark on a two day cooking binge preparing for the traditional start of Lent for Greek Orthodox Christians. So, goodbye to meat and hello to a plethora of seafood and salad recipes, hard to believe this is meant to be the start of a fast with so many delicious things to eat.

So what's on the menu?

Mussel pilaf (mydia pilafo)

Yellow split pee puree (fava) - a lot better than the English translation suggests.

Deep fried battered fish fillets (basically, fish cooked like fish and chips).

Spicy feta cheese dip (xtipiti or tyrosalata).

Broad beans in a rich tomato sauce (fasolada).

Deep fried battered courgettes (kolokythakia tyganita).

Pickled sardine fillets (sardelles marinates)

Tomato and feta salad (well, you know what I mean).

I'll be posting recipe, pics and video over the weekend. Till then I suggest you check out this wonderful blog, My Little Expat Kitchen to see what you're missing.

No comments: